Wednesday 22 October 2008

Silenced Women of Corinth: The Text Critical Solution

Here is my discussion of the Silenced Women of Corinth passage. As with most of my blog posts, I do not mean to imply that it is a scholarly masterpiece; most blog posts are written off the top of my head. In this case, the article was written for a church community, although it attempts to update the reader on the latest academic discussion--which is on-going.

If I were to re-write it, I would bring into the discussion a paper presented by Jeffrey Kloha at Society of Biblical Literature (Washington D.C., Nov, 2006), arguing that his examples of Western displacements--fragmentary as they are and hardly comparable to redactionary displacement of whole texts--do not make his case. But also, I would soften my own conclusions; perhaps I come across as too certain.

Information about recent developments in the debate is taken from Eldon Epp's Junia: The First Woman Apostle.

http://jmleonardfamily.googlepages.com/silencedwomenofcorinth

1 comment:

Richard Fellows said...

If the disputed letters and 1 Cor 14:34-35 are fakes, Paul starts to appear quite egalitarian. But how to explain 1 Cor 11:2-16? Was it an interpolation too?